Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Laredo bat trade

Now for something random, like I promised. The other day on my way into work, I was listening to the Michael Irvin show on ESPN radio. I love this show and the topic they were talking about lat week proved me why I do love it. They were talking to John Odom, I know right the John Odom. For those of you who are not familiar with Mr. Odom, he was recently the main product in one of the most outrageous trades I have ever heard about.
Last week the Calgary Vipers traded John to the Laredo Broncos, not for money, not for other players, but for baseball bats. That's right baseball bats, 10 of them to be precise. But these weren't any regualr baseball bats, they were Prairie Stick Maple Bats, double-dipped black, 34-inch, C243 style. These bats run about $70 a pop, so they are alright sticks. Apparently Calgary was having problems with John getting over the border to play, Laredo heard about it and at first offered money for him, but Calgary called back and wanted bats. And this isn't the first time that Calgary has done something like this, one other time they offered to trade a player for 1,500 blue stadium seats while they were remodeling their stadium.
How embarrasing to be involved in such a trade. I mean how good must you be if you are getting traded for 10 bats. I don't think I see a lot of all star games for John, but I could be wrong. But I do see a lot of trivia questions and possibly a believe-it-or-not article. I wish John the best of luck in Laredo and hopefully for Laredo, they get the better end of the trade.

2 comments:

Jonathan Storment said...

That's really funny Brad! Thanks for sharing

KSullie said...

And who better to be on top of those trivia questions than you BB. Ha ha. 10 bats. That is embarassing.