Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Goals

Who can remember some of the goals that they set out for themselves growing up? I know that while I was in college, we were asked where we could see ourselves doing five and ten years down the road. I don't think i quite lived up to those. I have set goals for myself like by now, I was supposed to have my masters degree in social work or counseling, I haven't even started. I was hoping to have started my own non - profit program for inner city youth, I've worked at a couple and currently work at one now, so I guess this could be a start. These are just some of my career goals.
I've also set up goals that everyone sets, you know like I guess, "hobby goals". For example one of mine was to go to a live sporting event of the big five profesional sports, I count the PGA as one because I've always been a huge fan, by the time I'm 30. I've reached last year. I've been to several MLB games but no playoff games, I guess that's what I get for living in the DFW area. I've been to one NFL game, a Dallas Cowboy vs. Washington Redskin Thanksgiving game about 15 years ago. My new goal is to go to Mile High Stadium to watch my beloved Denver Broncos. I've went to go to the Dallas Mavericks a few years back only to watch them lose on a last second shot by Barran Davis of the GS Warriors. I've been to an NHL playoff game of the Dallas Stars and watched them beat out the Mighy Ducks to advance to the 2nd round of the playoffs. I've been to the Memorial Tournament at the classic Muirfield Village back in 2005. It was amazing being on the course that Jack Nicklaus created and also to watch the PGA's biggest names up close, I got within five feet of Tiger Woods. And I guess I can add one more even thought I've never been a big fan of it, I've just recently been to a Nascar event at the Texas Motor Speedway and watched Kyle Busch take the checkered flag. I used to work with Jimmie Johnsons's aunt, his dads older sister, down in east texas and she kept me interested in it. I've also been to several college football games, my favorite being when I was around 8 or 9, we got to go see my favorite team at the time, the Colorado Buffalos, play in Waco against the Baylor Bears. Of course Colorado won, but what was so cool and something that I would never forget, was while we watching the game, there was the two guys decked out in Colorado gear and stuff and then my older brother looked at his hand and he was wearing this huge golden ring and I guess they saw us noticing because they called us over and let us hold on to a National Championship ring, they were scouts for the Buffs and were down in Texas recruiting the weekend before at some nearby high schools and were able to make the game in Waco. I also got to see Lou Holtz coach his last game at Arkansas when he was coaching the South Carolina team, it was my birthday that night and the Razorbacks won pretty good that night.
I say this all in stat that I may have put more of an emphasis on this stuff that will one day not exist. I think that a lot of us put things first that won't matter in the end. I remember back in my Junior High days that the No Fear t-shirts were popular and there was this one that read" He who dies with the most toys - still dies." I think for my next thirty years or thirty one, I'm going to get my masters, start a non-profit, and put more effort into who I am and getting to know my Father better.

No comments: