Wednesday, July 29, 2009

High School Ruenion


I know I have been putting off writing a new post for a while but I finally found some time to do so. So here is what has been on my mind the last couple of weeks. Three weekends ago I went back up to my 1o year high school reunion and it was everything that you would expect from a small town Arkansas high school and I loved it. I hadn't kept in touch with too many of the 53 people I graduated with, alright maybe I just kept in touch with two of them, at the most. It's just that i felt that I moved on from then and that I didn't think anybody really was interested in what I was doing. It was held at one of the nearby Country Clubs, and I got there early at 10:00 in the morning and it felt awkward at first because I was pretty much the only one there that hadn't been keeping in touch with them. Nobody knew I lived in Ft. Worth or even graduated college, I think that surprised some people. As the day went on I got to know them again and it was as if I never left. It even included the awkward high school sweethearts couple that broke up and then showed up with their new significant others. I really thought at one point that I was going to see a cage match for free, but we were adults about it and just talked about the other ones behind their backs. I won an award for the Most Eligible Bachelor, now I am just waiting to get a call to go on the Bachelor reality show, getting the award has to have some credibility. As the day ended I vowed to myself to stay involved and to even go back two or three times a year instead of waiting another ten years. I really have no reason for not doing so in the first place, I wasn't unpopular in high school. It was too small of a school to have cliques so everybody knew everybody. We had a guy there that wore some kind of camouflage, either hunting or military, everyday it seemed like. We took the first weekend of deer hunting season off as a holiday because more then half the school wasn't going to be anyways. When I was there, we still used to get swatted as punishment, I got swatted 10 times my freshman year, one of them by the baseball coach, now that hurt. It was just fun sitting back and reminiscing about old times. I was probably one of the only ones that didn't have a kid and it was great seeing my classmates as parents and getting to meet their families. That is probably one of my biggest regrets in that when I left Horatio, I really left Horatio.

No comments: